Sunday, November 9, 2014

Guiding Eyes Day 14 Sat 8th

Guiding Eyes  Day 14  Sat. 8th

Two weeks done, one to go. I am amazed how much I have learned in 2 weeks. I thought I'd leave here feeling like a pro, but I realize that's off the mark. I equate this to my first teaching job. Fresh out of graduate school; B.A. and M.A. under my belt, all the theory and a bit of practicum and yet I felt like I knew nothing as I met students on the first day. I didn't start out a pro, I had to to get some experience under my belt. It was truly year three to have enough confidence to tell the parents I knew what I was doing. (And even then, I had to fake it sometimes.)

So, expecting to have it all together when I go back to Atlanta is ludicrous. But, I believe I will have the tools I need to continue learning, and get some experience under my belt. And if I need help, this awesome school offers so much support.
Okay, back to Saturday.

In the previous week, we had simulated traffic checks where your dog slows down or stops and backs up due to an on-coming car. (Yes, you heard me correctly, the dog goes backwards. Not a typical movement for dogs.)
On Saturday, we went to White Plains and one of our instructors drove a real car at us. She appeared out of nowhere, well actually nowhere is my missing peripheral vision. And you know what? Little Pipsqueak hit her breaks and did a backward shuffle. I was supposed to shuffle back just as much as she did. I took a couple of giant steps backward instead of the baby steps needed (and for the oldies in the readership, I forgot to say 'mother may I !')

Big feet here frequently takes giant steps at a quick pace and creates 'situations' for Pippi and me.  One of those learning opportunities for home turf.

We were given directions to walk in twos part of our usual route and to cross over a street and turn right instead of a left turn before crossing. We were 'handed off' from one instructor to another and ended up at a lovely pub/restaurant for lunch. Following lunch, we all had different things to work on with instructors, to fit training to our environmental needs back home.

I worked on targetting bus stops. With food and clicker reinforcement, we taught Pippi to hone in on a specific pole. In a 10 minute period she hit the mark every time. Love me some Pip! Monday we will see if she remembers and we will ride the bus a couple stops. Back in Atlanta, I will use the same method to help Pippi target 4 different bus stops; one to head to our mass transit trains, two to take the bus in the opposite direction (grocery store, Jewish Community Center, and vet on that route), and the last one to take bus to hair salon, and partially to the library. Yup, got my work cut out for me. The best news is this dog is driven to work, and will do just about anything for food.

Who would have ever thought that a woman afraid of dogs until her 50s, could work on training a dog to specific places to maintain her independence with, or without, sight?
Certainly not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment