Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Guiding Eyes   Day 11 Wed.  5th

Well, it was bound to happen. A tough day. However, if the saying about 'things happen in threes' is true, I'm done for the day.

First walk of the day done in tandem again. Caught most infractions and used proper corrections. Ready for 10:30 water and park. Tried to remove harness, Pippi squirmed, I dropped it and somehow she got her head caught in between the harness handle. We heard a shrill Yelp! My instructor ran out of the other room, found the cause of the yip, and handed me the high value treats. A handful of treats. She explained that Pippi would become 'gun-shy' or harness resistent if we couldn't help her mitigate the pain (not really hurtful, it just scared her). About 20 treats later, and an attempted park, I needed to put the harness back on. Slowly, carefully, praising all the while, she was buckled up and ready to boogie. Of course she needed a few treats for being cooperative. Seems to me that if someone got me tangled in something and I was given a bunch of cookies, I'd seriously consider getting myself into that predicament again! Fortunately, Pippi doesn't think that way!

Bad mommy moment #2   We return from White Plains around 4:00 and feed-water-park. For the past four days, during this feed time, we have been shaking an antibiotic on their food, adding a bit of water to make it soupy because one dog-in the kennels, not our class group- tested positive for Giardia. The school goes into precautionary mode and treats ALL the dogs, washes out their crates, their food bowls, their Nylabones, and machine washes the 'mattress pads.' And did I mention they bathe all the dogs? That's around 80 + dogs. Today was the fifth and last dose of medicine. First they took the crates which confused Pippi. Next they extricated the toy bone. She looked perplexed and kept pacing back and forth. The bad mommy moment came when my intructor knocked on the door to hand things back to me and Pippi was too close and I opened the door over a foot. High-pitched yelp, twice in one day. :-( Bring out the high value treats...again. I certainly don't want her to become 'door-resistent!'

The third bad happened to me. The toilet/shower room is oddly configured and as I started to leave it, I smashed my head into the tile wall. Maybe I deserved that....hurt the dog twice, come uppance for mom.

Today is the last day for two of our classmates, Their program is 10 days at school and 5 days one-on-one at their home. This program is reserved for individuals who cannot get 21 days away and they cannot be a first-timer. We first-timers need all the instruction and guidance we can get. It feels like a family falling apart, piece by piece. I'm disappointed these two women will not be in our graduation picture.

We have nightly lectures from 6-7:15. Tonight we heard, aloud, the Graduate's Contract. Basically, you take an oath promising to care for the dog with the greatest concern for health- both mental(providing on-going work to keep the dog stimulated)  and physical (correct nutrition, weight, grooming) or else. What's the OR ELSE? They will come and reclaim the dog. No second chance, Hasta laviesta [sp] baby!
Did you know....
I do not own this dog? Guiding Eyes holds ownership for two years. After two full years, and no negative reports, the handler may request a transfer of ownership. The school will continue to support handlers but the handler would own the dog

The main talking point of the lecture? Beginning tomorrow, we are the poop patrol. Keep those poop bags handy, ladies and gents. We were even given the correct way to locate and retrieve said poop. It was a great visual, for the few of us who still have some sight!

Tomorrow is all day at the school, Suits me just fine; the weather is turning cooler and it will be rainy.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you're all up and cheery, unharmed, ready to start a new day. Have a great one.1654

    ReplyDelete